Wednesday 7 September 2011

Domestic Abuse

1 in 4 women experience domestic violence over their lifetimes. That is shocking.


I know that a lot of my posts have been about happy things going on in my life but on a serious note, I want to draw upon one issue which I'm incredibly passionate about- domestic violence.


According to women's aiddomestic violence is physical, sexual, psychological or financial violence that takes place within an intimate or family-type relationship and that forms a pattern of coercive and controlling behaviour. At least 1 in 4 women experience domestic violence in their lifetime and between 1 in 8 and 1 in 10 women experience it annually. Less than half of all incidents are reported to the police, but they still receive one domestic violence call every minute in the UK. 


It's really easy for people to sit back, but the chances are you actually know someone male or female that are experiencing some type of domestic abuse. To this day, I still can't begin to understand why domestic abuse is so common. Why people feel the need to over-power others, why they hurt others the way they do and why people put up with it more often than not for the sake of 'love'. The abusers are usually the weak, unhappy and dissatisfied and to me- I simply feel sorry for the abusers because those abused become stronger and better.




All photography was staged

Information sourced from http://www.womensaid.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment